Monday, July 4, 2011

Review: Shiver



Author-  Maggie Stiefvater
Scholastic Audio

When Shiver was published in August of 2009, I was spending every free second of time writing my Masters dissertation on radical contributions in children’s literature.   Needless to say, my “reading for fun” time became nonexistent and I never joined the Shiver bandwagon.   With the third book of the series Forever coming out July 12, I figured it was time to see what all of the fuss is about…

Shiver is told from the point of view of the two main characters:  Grace, an independent 17 year old with an unusual fascination with wolves, and Sam, a part  heartthrob- part werewolf who saves Grace’s life and consequently falls in love with her.  I really thought Maggie Stiefvater did a wonderful job of shifting between narrators and the writing itself was beautiful.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t overly excited about the story…

Grace discovers that the yellow-eyed wolf who saved her life 6 years prior, is really an artsy, intelligent, HOT guy.  The first two thirds of the book is essentially about their growing love affair (which at times was cute and mildly steamy), but over all I found the story to be slow and somewhat uneventful.   I know that realism doesn’t really go along with paranormal romance, but I had issues with the fact that Sam slept in Grace’s room every night for weeks without her parents knowing.  He showered, brushed his teeth, and would even make breakfast after her parents had left.   I didn’t think this was explained well enough- basically, the reader is supposed to accept that Grace’s parents are so wrapped up in their own selfish lives, that they don’t notice their daughter has a live in boyfriend?  I didn’t buy it.  

The story did eventually pick up the pace and I was literally on the edge of my seat for the last 15 or so chapters- just enough mystery to drive me crazy and force me to purchase Linger.  All in all, I give it 3.5 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment